Sunday, March 15, 2009

Another Trip Diving in Anilau (March 09)

Well, here we (Neil and I) are at Anilau again...



Diving here is just beautiful... The fish are amazing and the coral will just take your breath away...


Another Angelfish


Large (5' tall) Basket Sponge


The colors of the lesser sea fans are splendid...


A beautiful side of a very large coral head...


This was a 4' grouper...


You can tell by the fins that this was a pretty large needle fish...


Some pretty blue fish (I need to brush up on my fish identification)...


Another "pretty blue fish"... Haha, real technical, eh.... I probably should have rotated the picture, but that was the way the fish looked swimming from above, so.......


Oh, and here is a "pretty blue star fish".....


Now the coral, it was just amazing; the variety and health of most of the coral....


Another good picture of healthy coral... Click on it to open to a larger pic for better color, etc...


More coral...


Wonderful shapes....


Layers.....


This was a big table...!!!


Lots of different types of coral here.....



Another, smaller basket sponge surrounded by lots of different coral...


The view was endless.....



And there were some fishies as well....


I think this one is called a trumpet fish..?? Like I said, remedial fish identification is on the schedule for me...



Some of the smaller fish actually lived inside of the arms of this staghorn-like coral... They would dart in and out, disappearing within the coral...


A small school of fish....



More fish hiding in the coral.....



This was my favorite scene... When we swam upon it, I was stunned at the expanse and variety of the coral... Immediately, the Beatles "Octopus's Garden in the Shade" started playing in my head and I swear, I saw SpongeBob strolling by.... Haha.... It was truly amazing.....


Now the obligatory poses.... Neil and I....


More.........



Nemos for Marley.... There were always many clownfish living in all of the anemones.....


More clownfish hiding.... Can you find them..??


Also, plenty of lionfish as well... Typically I am diving in a protected area so there is no collecting of shells or marine life at all... However, this species is now an invasive species on many of the reefs in the Bahamas... They are being eradicated on sight by all of the recreational divers, but they are prolific breeders and so far, no real dent in their population... I am excited to get back on my boat and dive some of these places as I hear, the lionfish are good eating.... Just stay clear of the spines.....


A nice school of jacks.....


Here I am surrounded by fish...


Feeding the fish.... Another picture I should have turned 90 degrees... Where the heck is quality control when you need them...!!!


Put some pieces of bread in a Ziploc with a small corner cut out and you have friends for life..!!




And that would be a wave "Good Bye"......



No comments: